How does Micro-Needling work?
Micro-needling (also known as skin needling or collagen induction therapy) is a type of treatment that uses small needles to cause tiny punctures in the skin. This encourages the body to create a wound healing response and renew the skin cells. As your skin repairs, the production of collagen and elastin is triggered to give an almost immediate plumping effect. It can also help tackle other skin damage such as scarring for both men and women, dark pigmentation marks, sun damage skin and ageing skin can all be reduced with Micro-needling.
Benefits of Micro-Needling
Micro-needling is most commonly used to treat the following skin conditions at our Birmingham Men’s clinic
- Dull skin: Rejuvenate tired and dull skin and combat the initial signs of ageing.
- Wrinkles: Fine lines and wrinkles on the face can be visibly reduced, as micro-needling triggers collagen production to plum the skin
- Scarring: Scars from acne and Chicken Pox can be improved and an uneven texture can be smoothed out with micro-needling.
- Pigmentation: Can help to fade dark patches such as pigmentation due to sun damage or ageing.
- Skin Texture: can be improved with micro-needling as the wound healing process to generate new skin cells
- Body Scaring: on the body, scaring can be reduced with this treatment
- Large Pores: Large pores on the skin can be reduced with micro-needling on the face
Micro-needling is a great treatment for you if you have darker skin because it doesn’t involve peels or lasers, which can cause pigmentation issues.
Which serums are used during the micro-needling treatment?
We use is a unique collection of professional cosmeceutical serums for needle-free mesotherapy dedicated to treat common skin problems, such as:
- Acne Scaring & Oily Skin
- Sensitive skin treatment to reduce redness, itchy and irritated skin with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial ingredients
- Skin Renewal: using a hyaluronic acid and vitamin c treatment to improve overall skin condition and texture
- Anti-Aging: leads to a beautiful and youthful appearance of skin.
- Extra Cellular Matrix: stimulates the synthesis of collagen and elastin, intensive regeneration of the damaged extra-cellular matrix (tissue degradation).
- White: reduction of skin discolouration and freckles caused by acne and sun damage. Reduces melanin content and neutralises free radicals
- Hydrate: a anti ageing serum to promote oxygen and hydration to the skin for a youthful appearance
Before my micro-needling treatment
Before your micro-needling treatment at our men’s clinic, you should avoid the use of:
- self tanning products for up to 48 hours
- avoid sun exposure
- skin products that contain vitamin A or retinol for 7 days
- Avoid IPL & Laser treatments to the area for 2 weeks
- Chemical peels to the area for 2 weeks
- Exfoliating the skin for 7 days
- no waxing for hair removal on the treatment area for 7 days
Is the any side effects from the treatment?
Following the men’s micro-needling treatment you will experince the following:
- uniform redness across the treated area for up to 2 days
- tightness of the treated area
- warmth on the treated area
- blood spotting on the treated area
How long to the results last?
Results from 3-6 weeks
You will start to see results within 3-6 weeks as the skin repairs.
The results of microneedling are not permanent, and you will require treatment on a regular basis in order to maximise and maintain these.
Your skin consultant will discuss your individual treatment needs with you at your consultation, including the expected number of treatments and treatment intervals depending on your type of skin damage. A course of treatment will give the best results with a home care skin routine.
The wound healing process
- You will experince redness of the skin for around 2 days as the skin settles to the treatment
- Cell reproduction will take place from day 5-21
- From around day 21, your skin will start to remodel
Aftercare following your treatment
Protect your skin
Following your treatment it is very important to follow an aftercare routine to protect your skin from sun damage and skin dehydration.
- Avoid using any skin care products on the treated area
- Apply SPF30+ to the treated area
- Wear loose clothing around the treated area as to not irritate the area
- Keep the treated area covered from sunlight to avoid sun damage
- Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day
- Avoid exfoliation, retinol products and shaving the treated area for 48 hours
- Avoid gym, sauna, steam, sauna and hot baths for 48 hours
- You can apply an aloe vera gel if the treated area feels warm/hot